FATHER'S DAY JUNE 19!
SUMMER IS HERE! JUNE - JULY - AND AUGUST CAN BE SOME OF THE BEST BIRD-VIEWING MONTHS YOU CAN HAVE!
BUT! LET'S TAKE CARE OF SUMMER'S PROBLEMS FOR YOU IN THE FORM OF BLACKBIRDS, STARLINGS, DOVES AND PIGEONS...... AND THE EVER-PRESENT SQUIRREL! PICK A CATEGORY ON THE LEFT AS YOU ENCOUNTER DIFFERENT CHALLENGES THROUGH-OUT THE SUMMER MONTHS!
Sometimes you just have too many blackbirds, doves and pigeons. They can eat more than their share of food and chase other birds away. However, there are several solutions to keep these birds from monopolizing feeders.
The Right Food
- Many birds will sweep through seed blends to find the seed they want to eat. Uneaten seed gets tossed to the ground. By offering the right blend for the feeding situation, you can reduce the mess that accumulates below the feeder and eliminate the problem birds that hang around the area.
- SAFFLOWER, a small, white seed high in protein and fat. Many of your favorite birds will readily eat safflower but blackbirds, starlings and grackles tend not to.
- A no-mess blend, without millet, where the seed is shell-less such as sunflower chips, and nuts. This means there will be no shell dropped to the ground.
- discount blends with cereals and fillers, such as wheat, oats, barley, milo and flax seed. These just end up in a pile under feeders.
- corn, especially cracked corn. Blackbirds, doves and pigeons love it.
Though adding a tray to the bottom of a seed tube or finch feeder will minimize mess, it allows larger birds, like pigeons and doves, to dine easily. Deter larger birds from visiting your existing feeder by adding an On-Guard™ wire mesh cage. Our On-Guard solutions are designed to allow smaller birds access but prevent doves, pigeons, even blackbirds from reaching the food in a feeder. We offer a variety of cages that easily fit on our seed tube, finch, peanut, suet and some of our specialty feeders.
We offer a variety of feeders that help you feed only the birds you want.
- EcoTough® Upside-down Suet Feeder - This feeder is designed to allow birds to feed from below, a comfortable practice for woodpeckers, nuthatches, chickadees and other clinging birds but difficult for starlings.
- Dinner Bell™ feeder - Use this versatile feeder to offer a number of different foods. The Dinner Bell's adjustable dome can be raised and lowered to keep big birds out and allow access for smaller birds.
- We consistently sell several Squirrel Buster Plus or Squirrel Buster Classics a week. Both of these feeders are weight-sensitive and will close off access to the food when heavier visitors, such as squirrels, pigeons and most doves, sit on a perch. The Squirrel Buster Plus even can have the perches removed so the feeder becomes a clinger's only feeder - impossible for the larger black birds to access.
- Another feeder, with weight-sensitive bars is our Absolute II feeder. This is another successful seller that holds more seed yet still deters squirrels, and the larger blackbirds.
We do have solutions for you. Come in and let us help you turn your bird feeding woes to bird feeding WOW's! You will also notice a savings $$$$$$ in the amount of seed you need to use, with the squirrels and large nuisance birds unable to eat your budget away!